© 2020 qsportsmedicine
Sports Physician - Co-Medical Director Qsportsmedicine
Richard is a Sports Physician specialising in sports, musculoskeletal and exercise medicine. He graduated from medicine at the University of NSW in 1996 and following further study became a fully qualified GP in 2001. In 2005 he completed his fellowship with the Australasian College of Sports Physicians. He received the award for the most outstanding candidate in 2004.
Richard is trained in the management of all sporting injuries with a personal interest in the football codes (Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union and Rugby League), Basketball and the Performing Arts. He is currently consultant to Netball Queensland. He has completed research in Aprotinin for the management of tendon injuries and this is one of Richard's interest fields.
Richard currently consults to the Wallabies, QLD Firebirds, Cirque du Soleil and QAS Sailing.
Sports Physician - Co-Medical Director Qsportsmedicine
Mark qualified in London in 1984. He spent 7 years in rural general practice in Alice Springs, before undertaking his specialist fellowship training for the Australasian College of Sports Physicians and Exercise Medicine (ACSEP) at the A.I.S in Canberra.
Mark is interested in the rehabilitation of the shoulder, hip and back injuries and has a special interest in tendon pathology and musculoskeletal cellular biotherapies.
- Chief Medical Officer - The Australian Diving Team
- Team Physician - Queensland Bulls and Fire State Cricket Teams, and the Queensland Heat.
- Medical Director - National Cricket Centre, Brisbane.
- Medical Director - ICC Women's World Cup Cricket (2020)
- Committee Member - ASDMAC (Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority), Commonwealth Govt., Canberra
- Registrar Clinical Training Supervisor- ACSEP
- Specialist Sports Physician - Cricket Australia Cardiac Panel.
- Honorary Research Fellow - Translational Research Institute (QUT) and Brisbane & Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, Brisbane.
Past appointments have included:
- Australian Men's Team Doctor - Australia v Pakistan (2018), Dubai.
- Australian Men's Team Doctor - T20 Triangular Series - Australia, NZ and England (2018).
- Australian Men's Team Doctor - Australian ODI World Cup Cricket Team (2016), India.
- Medical Director (QLD) to the Cricket World Cup (2015)
- Team Doctor - Triathlon Australia, Rio Olympic Games (2016)
- Chief Medical Officer - Australian Triathlon Team (2008-2016) and the Australian Softball Team (2000-2016).
- Senior Honorary Research Fellow - Musculoskeletal stem cell therapies, the Mater Medical Research Institute, Brisbane.
- Team Doctor - Brisbane Roar Football Club, Queensland Reds Rugby Union team, and Queensland Firebirds Netball Team.
Sports Physician Registrars
Dr Chris Thomas has recently returned to Qsportsmedicine. He graduated from the University of Queensland in 2006, before spending time in orthopaedic, trauma and neurosurgical units at the Princess Alexandra Hospital. Prior to starting specialty training in sport and exercise medicine through the Australasian College of Sports and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP), he spent time gaining experience in exercise medicine and sports related trauma.
- 2019 Junior Wallabies Team Doctor, Rugby Australia
- 2016 - 2017 Team Doctor, Queensland Reds
- 2012 - present : Wallabies Match Day Doctor
- 2017 : Co Tournament Director Duco 10s
- 2014 - 2016: Assistant Team Doctor, Queensland Bulls and Brisbane Heat
- 2015: Tournament Doctor, Asian Soccer Cup
- 2015: Tour Doctor, Australia A Cricket team
- 2014 - 2015: Match Day Doctor, Queensland Reds
- 2013 - 2015: Australian Schoolboys Rugby Union
- 2013 - 2014: Team Doctor, Queensland Firebirds
- 2011 - 2014: Tournament Medical Director, Sevens World Series Gold Coast
- Norths Devils Rugby League
- Queensland Firebirds
- Broncos u20
- Greater Western Sydney AFL – interstate coverage
- GPS Rugby Club Doctor
Having been a former State and National level swimmer, he has a keen interest in water sports related injuries. He also specializes in the management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, shoulder, knee, foot and ankle pain, as well as tendonopathies and basic fractures.
Dr Thomas is actively involved in research and has published in peer reviewed literature at an International level. He has presented talks at a local and state level with respect to tibial plateau fractures, meniscal repair techniques, Lis Franc and syndesmosis injuries.
Dr Martin Smith is a Sports and Exercise Medicine Registrar at QSportsmedicine.
Dr Martin Smith is a Sports and Exercise Medicine Registrar based in Brisbane and the Gold Coast. He graduated from the University of Nottingham in the UK, before completing his initial two post-graduate years working in the NHS. He then moved to Australia to pursue a career in Sports Medicine and was initially based on the Gold Coast. He spent time training in Emergency Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery to give him vital skills required for Sports Medicine, before enrolling in the Australasian College of Sports and Exercise Medicine training program.
Dr Smith is actively involved in research and has conducted research into inherited cardiomyopathies, as well as sports-related hand and ankle injuries. He has presented talks at a local and state level with respect to management of acute shoulder injuries, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and low back pain.
Dr Smith is the Chief Medical Officer for Rowing Queensland and a Club Doctor for the Gold Coast Titans Rugby League team. He has worked in a wide range of sports and his past experience includes:
- Queensland State of Origin – Assistant Doctor 2017 and 2018
- The Wallabies – Concussion and Head Injury Assessment Doctor 2017-present
- Queensland Reds – Concussion and Head Injury Assessment Doctor 2017-present
- Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018 – Rugby 7s Tournament Doctor
- Brisbane International Tennis Tournament – Assistant Doctor 2017
- Brisbane Bullets Basketball – Team Doctor 2016-2018
- Brisbane Global 10s Rugby Union – Tournament Physician 2018
- Brisbane City NRC Rugby Union – Team Doctor 2017-2018
- Easts Rugby League – Team Doctor 2018
- Easts Rugby Union – Team Doctor 2017
- Morningside Panthers Australian Rules Club – Team Doctor 2016
Dr Smith enjoys helping anyone to rid themselves of their musculoskeletal problems, from athletes to those who don’t exercise but are prevented from doing what they want by pain or dysfunction. He specializes in the management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, as well as low back, shoulder and knee pain. He is looking forward to helping you on your way to recovery today.
Dr Tobias Brucksch-Domanski is a registrar in specialist training with the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians. Tobias has a general interest in sport and exercise medicine. He is interested in seeing all patients including elite athletes, people with niche interests and those who are simply trying to increase their activity levels.
He has a position as team doctor for the University of Queensland Red Heavies Rugby Union Club. He studied undergraduate medicine at Monash University in Victoria and worked in Melbourne gaining experience in general practice clinics and sports & events coverage. This includes medical coverage for the Northern Knights Football Club (TAC Cup), Racing Victoria (horse-racing), Motocross Victoria, and, volunteering for Team Medical Australia at motor racing events.
Tobias is currently teaming up with the members of the Department of Physiotherapy at the University of Melbourne as a researcher to study the use of certain medications in the treatment of bone stress injuries. Tobias' own activity interests include yoga, American Football, soccer, swimming and cycling. He is always keen to gain new skills in other sports like golf, surfing and fishing.
Nathan Eadie is the Director of Queensland Foot Services, recognised as Queensland's premier sports podiatry practice.
Nathan's experience in the sports podiatry field is vast and extensive. He cares for many elite sporting teams in Brisbane as well as junior athletes. Nathan has associations with both the Australian Institute of Sport and the Queensland Academy of Sport and he is currently the consulting podiatrist for the Brisbane Lions AFC, the Queensland Reds Rugby Union, Gold Coast Titans and the Queensland Firebirds.
For further information or to make a booking please contact our friendly reception staff or the team at Queensland Foot Centres - Phone: 07 3379 1200 or go to the website to book online - Website: https://www.queenslandfootcentres.com/
Assoicate Sports Dietician
Fiona is committed to an individualised, practical, needs centred approach to assisting BOTH athletes and non-athletes of all stages and ages maximise their performance and life enjoyment through nutrition education. She has lots of life and training experience and can empathise with clients and their families; ensuring together they find practical solutions to fit easily within the client’s lifestyle or training schedules, thus making them sustainable and easy to implement.
Fiona utilises the latest research and evidence bases to find practical workable solutions for clients which are sustainable in their lifestyle and loves motivating people towards their goals. She believes that no goal is too small or too insignificant; and her passion is helping people through nutrition to achieve their full potential; be it in their 1st fun run, school cricket match, club rugby game, 20th Ultramarathon or wanting to ensure they are eating the best possible diet for their stage of life or medical condition.
She is passionate about life in general but especially: Endurance sports (marathons, ultramarathons, ironman/half ironman triathlons, cycling) Team sports (cricket, rugby, AFL) Adolescent nutrition, especially educating around sport & healthy eating –it is a gift for life Disordered eating/weight loss/obesity/food intolerances/diet choices.
From Fiona: “I believe food is meant to be enjoyed! Your body will love you and perform for you if you eat a balanced, healthy, colourful, varied diet. Most foods and drinks can be consumed in moderation and healthy eating does not equate to restrictive eating or “dieting”. I have personally experienced and seen in many of my athletes AND non- athletes the training, energy and lifestyle benefits of a healthy balanced diet and firmly believe that no matter who you are you cannot out train or outwit a poor or unbalanced diet, in the end it will catch up with you!”
For more information please visit her website - www.foodandmovement.com.au