© 2021 qsportsmedicine
Dr Martin Smith is a Senior Sports and Exercise Medicine Registrar at QSportsmedicine.
Dr Smith graduated from the University of Nottingham in the UK, before completing his initial two post-graduate years working in the NHS. He then moved to Australia to pursue a career in Sports Medicine and was initially based on the Gold Coast. He spent time training in Emergency Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery to give him vital skills required for Sports Medicine, before enrolling in the Australasian College of Sports and Exercise Physicians training program.
Martin is actively involved in education and research. He is currently undertaking research into exercise prescription for patients following cardiac events, as well as the management of ACL injuries and has previously conducted research into inherited cardiomyopathies, as well as sports-related hand and ankle injuries. He coordinates regular educational programs for Queensland-based physiotherapists and doctors on musculoskeletal conditions.
Martin is the Chief Medical Officer for the Queensland Academy of Sport Rowing program and the Team Doctor for the Brisbane Roar A-League team, Brisbane Roar Academy team and the Young Socceroos (Australia under-20s Soccer Team). He has worked in a wide range of sports and his past experience includes:
- Queensland State of Origin – Assistant Doctor 2017-2019
- Gold Coast Titans - Team Doctor 2018-2019
- Queensland Reds Academy Doctor – 2019-2020
- The Wallabies – Concussion and Head Injury Assessment Doctor 2017-present
- Queensland Reds – Concussion and Head Injury Assessment Doctor 2017-present
- Indigenous All-Stars Women’s Rugby League Team - 2019
- Gold Coast Commonwealth Games 2018 – Rugby 7s Tournament Doctor
- Brisbane Bullets Basketball – Team Doctor 2016-2018
- Brisbane International Tennis Tournament – Assistant Doctor 2017
- Brisbane Global 10s Rugby Union – Tournament Physician 2018
- Brisbane City NRC Rugby Union – Team Doctor 2017-2018
- Easts Rugby League – Team Doctor 2018
- Easts Rugby Union – Team Doctor 2017
- Morningside Panthers Australian Rules Club – Team Doctor 2016
Martin enjoys helping anyone to rid themselves of their musculoskeletal problems, from athletes to those who don’t regularly exercise, but are prevented from doing what they want by pain or dysfunction. He specialises in the management of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, as well as low back, shoulder and knee pain.
He is looking forward to helping you on your way to recovery today.